Monday 23 May 2011

Sunday 22 May 2011 Hole of Horcum

Round three of the BMFA F3F summer tempted 4 of us to make the journey down to the North York Moors. Dave travelled on Friday and only had about an hour to drive to get there. I was up at 3:15 to meet up with Peter at 4 and collected Mike as we passed the Forth Bridge.

A quick stop at Purdey Lodge saw us get to Horcum just before 9. The wind direction had us head for Levisham; the first time I had flown on that slope. I have been to Horcum often to discover no wind but today was the opposite. At one point Dave’s windmeter showed I had been flying in 87 mph winds. I could hardly stand up on the edge! Some heavy showers of rain and hail blew through but it brightened up as the day progressed.

Unfortunately Dave damaged his Vikos quite badly when it spun in on the landing approach. The fuselage took the brunt of the damage and a replacement is on the cards. Dave switched to his Race M for the rest of the day. I was showing Dave the carbon fuselage on my Vikos (unlikes Dave's which is glass) and noticed that the servo tray was loose. I had to switch to my Skorpion for the rest of the day but it didn't make much difference to my pedestrian performance. Mike tried his Extreme and Ascot and settled on the Extreme for the last few rounds. Peter flew his very quick Cyril and finished up in third place. Well done Peter.

The report of the event is here. A memorable day although exhausting putting up with the stong winds. The strong winds and nasty rotor meant landing well back from the slope and carrying the fully ballasted models back from landing zone was hard work in the stormy conditions!

Fish and chips in Whiby on the way home completed our adventure on a challenging day. Thanks to Peter for once again doing all the driving.

Not a bad view to enjoy some haddock and chips with!

No comments:

Post a Comment