Conditions were very promising when we got to the edge with the wind almost straight onto the slope and blowing about 20-25 m/s. A bit of test flying and discussion took place about whether it was flyable or not during which time wind was becoming increasingly gusty; a lot of these gusts were well above the 25 m/s limit. Standing still on the edge became a challenge!
|Launch please? Note Peter leaning into the breeze!|
After a bit of flying around to determine just how much control he had (not much) Peter was able to put the model down at the foot of the slope on the open moorland. The Jedi impaled itself in some soft peat which helped cushion the landing but left the nose sheath well stuck in the wet, sticky peat. On his return to the top of the slope Peter borrowed a couple of spare poles from the bases and four of us headed back down the hill to recover the nose sheath.
|The tree in question|
Once we found the site of the incident (no mean feat) we were able to locate the buried nose sheath. After much poking of the ground with the poles to try to break the seal around the sheath and digging out some wet and gooey peat by hand (my nails are still not clean) we were able to extract the nose. Yippee!
|Free at last!|